Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

Big money, big money No Whammy's, No Whammy's, AHHHHHHHH

Today has been one of those days. At work today one of the junior Corpsman as he walked past me reached out and slapped me on the back. Automatically my back and shoulders started to cramp up. I played it off and finished the day and not to many if any realized how much I hurt. I came home and laid down for a little bit.
My brother and Dad are coming down here next week. I found a grocery store that I can put and order in online and then pick a time to go pick them up. I figured Dad and Neil might want more to eat than what is at a gas station, so last night I put in an order for some basics. To be picked up between 3:00 and 3:30 this afternoon. I got back up from laying down around 2:00 and decided since I had a few minutes to start my dodge ram. I mainly drive my Jeep here, but I start the truck to keep it ready to drive. The thing wouldn't start. I tried jumper cables and still no go. So I figured even though my back still hurt I would try and stop at the parts store on the way back and get it tested and find out if I needed a new one. Little did I know what I was in for. Drove down to the grocery store to get my groceries. The store when you put your order in has a drive up that you hit a button and they bring out your groceries to the vehicle. Kind of nice when you don't like doing crowds!! When I got there the parking lot was full. I hit the button and they told me to drive over to the door. As I started to take off a truck with a huge boat pulled up into the pick up lane. So around the parking lot I went. A lot full of people, and kids. Great for the anxiety levels. I finally made it around and pulled up to the doors. The clerk came out and took my payment put the groceries in the truck and I was off. Anxiety still high from all of the people around the truck, and the incident earlier in the day.
So now 1 last stop. I pull into the parking lot at the parts store. There aren't a lot of vehicles in the lot so I figure I might be able to handle this. I grab the battery out of the Jeep and go into the store. There were only around 5 people in the store, and it is a decent size store. Okay I can do this!!! As they tested my battery several people came and went in and out of the store. A total of 13, but there never were more than 5-6 in the store at any one time. "K, I can still handle this". It turned out my battery was dead. Time to replace it. So I told the clerk to go ahead and ring one up. One guy that came in and was at the register a couple down from me caught my eye more than the others. He kept glancing over at me. Over the last year I have come to recognize that look. Here is another person that knows me and is waiting for me to recognize him. I also need a latch for the back sliding window on the dodge and asked the clerk helping me if they carried them. He said yes and we went to the aisle and got it. On the way back the guy at the other register looked over at me and here it came. "Hey Doc". Trying to be courteous I answered back "Hi". "How have you been?", he asked. I hate this!!!!!!!!!!! I hate trying to fake a conversation with a person that knows me and I have no clue who they are!! "Alright", I answered and I made a be line to my register. My back was cramped up majorly and my head was starting to pound. I felt really awkward!! I paid for the stuff and left as quick as I could.
On the way to the house I had an old game show come to mind. Mom used to really enjoy it. I can't remember the name of it but it had a wheel that went around and they were trying to get 3 of a kind on it. The main cheer for anyone playing it was "Big Money, NO Whammies, Big Money No Whammies." The Whammy's were these little gremlin like creatures. I f you got 3 of them you lost everything you had won. Mom used to sit there as she watched it and holler out "No Whamy's". I used to get a kick out of it. A tap on the back, a lot of people at the parking lot, and another person with no name that knew me and expected me to know them. Then the topper. Memories of Mom. The wheel wasn't so kind today. So I made it to the house and unloaded and put the groceries away. I did manage to replace the battery but now I am paying for pushing the envelope. My back and shoulders feel like one big knot. My head is pounding like I have a freight train going through it, and while typing this I can't get my hands to quit shaking. I guess today the Whammy's win. Hoping next week will be better.