Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Busy Days




Sorry I haven't posted the last couple days. Been busy. Monday my Dad and Brother Neil made it into NC. The anxiety of them coming in was incredible. Then after they got here the anxiety of having someone in the house was up there too. Didn't get a lot of sleep Monday night. Actually I should say I got some sleep just not a lot of rest.

Tuesday brought a lot of anxiety too. I knew Wednesday I was to be meeting with my Command Master Chief. I had ordered the new black and tan uniforms but I also knew that before going to meet Master Chief I needed to get my hair cut. This is something that I have come to hate. Having problems with being touched and having to have someone touch my head and even position it to where they can get a better cut just drives me up a wall. ANXIETY!!!!! STRESS!!!! But so as not to embarrass my Navy I did it. My shoulders and back locked up hard. I was expecting it but that didn't help matters much. Anyway, afterwards I went back to the house and waited for my new uniforms and Sally to arrive. I got a message that Allison was having problems in traffic so she might be a little later than what we had worked out. No problem though. Dad and Neil had gone over to spend some time with the girls, and I was just hanging out waiting for FedEx. 3:00 and everything happens. Allison calls and says she is roughly 2 hours out. While on the phone with her FedEx arrives, and then Dad and Neil show up. Perfect timing. Wish it had been planned that way. So we waited for the call from Allison said she would call back when she was an hour out. So we waited. Allison called and we got ready to head out. We met at Petsmart. Boy Terry, Kyria, and Karen were all right. Not that I doubted them. Petsmart was a real challenge. Too many things to look at, and sniff. Overall though Sally did an outstanding job!! After that we made a quick trip to Lowe's and then I asked if everyone wanted to go get something to eat. After some traveling around and trying to stay away from the real busy restaurants, we settled on Cracker Barrel. It has been a real long time since I last remember being out with Dad for supper. Sally went in and laid down next to me and barely moved. Dad was in his old school form and Allison found out where I got my picking on people from. Neil was in normal form too. So I kind of felt sorry for her. She had to deal with all 3 of us at one time. There was one incident at the restaurant. The waitress went to get my brother some more hot water for his tea and stepped behind me to reach around to get it. My anxiety went through the roof. Next thing I realize I feel a nudge on my ankle. Then I feel a head lay down on the back of my calf. It was Sally letting me know that she was there and thing were going to be okay. My anxiety came down to manageable levels quickly!! Thank you Sally!!

After supper we all stepped outside and we talked for a little bit. Neil and Allison noticed the Cold Stone Creamery in the strip mall behind the Cracker Barrel and tried to explain to me what it was. Something tells me we will be making a trip there before Neil and Dad leave. Afterwards we all spit our ways and Dad, Neil, Sally and I headed for the house. We got to the house and I took Sally's vest and harness off and Dad and Neil got the chance to see the regular dog that exists behind the vest. Sally really relaxed and just did an outstanding job showing off to Dad and Neil. After a little bit we all headed to bed. I had an appointment in the morning at 0900, and still had a new uniform to get ready for the afternoon. Around 0300 I was startled as I felt my bed jostle around. I guess Sally had gotten down at some time and when she jumped back up on the bed I felt it. I jumped out of the bad and it took me a couple minutes to calm down and realize that it was just Sally.

This morning we got up and got ready to go to my appointment. The first experience was trying to get out of the shower. I open the shower curtain and here is Sally laying next to the tub. It took me a couple of tries to get her to move and then when she did finally move, she only moved a few inches. Just enough for me to step out. Then as I was finishing drying off she sat on my feet. I guess she thought my feet might get cold. LOL. I went out and got dressed and about that time Dad was getting up. Bad came out to the living room and had his shoes in hand. He sat down and went to try and put his shoes on. Sally walked over and sat down next to him and leaned up against his legs and every time Dad reached for his shoes Sally would push his hand with her head so he'd pet her. It was rather funny watching, even Dad was getting a kick out of it. Sally and I went out to our appointment and came back to the house afterwards. Then began the busy day for Sally.
First Dad and Neil took Sally and went and picked up my daughters. They took them to a park where Terry and Allison were going to meet them at. It sounds like they all had a really good time. I found out later that the girls had no idea that Sally was in the back of the truck until Neil opened the back door and there sat Sally. Terry told me later that it really surprised him when the girls all came up and hugged him. He wasn't expecting it and really enjoyed it. Thank you Shakaya, Tala, and Keilani!!!!!!!! After a while it was time for the girls to go home and for Terry Allison, Neil, Dad and Sally to return to get me an we headed to the hospital for our meeting with the Naval Hospital Command Master Chief.
The meeting was interesting and stressful. As we got to the hospital there were photographers that met us outside. " can you take Sally here and there". "Can you get her to look this way and that." Click, click, click. over and over again. every time Sally and I turned around there was another pic being taken. Then can you walk up to the hospital this way, now we want pics of you and her here, now there. I felt like I was a body guard for a Princess or something. It was stressful and Sally never got too excited about any of it. We finally made it inside and Command Master Chief met us at the door. We exchanged pleasantries and we walked around the first floor of the hospital and headed towards the command suite. Once there and realizing the amount of people that were actually involved we moved to one of the classrooms. Master Chief addressed all of us and was really supportive. He told my Dad, and brother that the CO was very sorry that he couldn't be there but he was TAD elsewhere. Then came all of the questions, the main ones were how as Sally helped me. and could they see her 2 main skills that everyone had heard sooooo much about. The "Pay attention, and Alert" commands. Sally and I stepped out into the hallway and Master Chief stepped up to be the person approaching me so as to see Sally reactions. When Sally nudged me I heard all kinds of gasps and wows from the crowd that was watching. Everyone was rally impressed. Then came the Alert. Sally didn't hold much back and let out a loud bark as Master Chief reached for me with my back towards him. He even jumped a little. This was really impressive since he stands 6ft 8in, and wears a size 16 shoe. No he doesn't play basketball. After our demo the reporters wanted an interview. So Sally, Commander Webster, Allison and I went i and sat down. The biggest question was how do I feel when Sally is with me. The only word I can find to describe it is "Freedom". I don't worry so much about someone surprising me and me hurting them. This is a feeling that can't be described any other way that I have found. After the interviews Master Chief, Sally and I went on a quick round threw the hospital. As we walked up on each of the nurses station a crowd gathered. There were a lot of questions asked and Sally and I would demonstrate her fast growing famous skills of "Pay Attention, and Alert." We hit 3 wards and then headed back to the first floor. One thing I didn't mention was we rode the elevator. This is something that I have developed a big problem with. I don't like the enclosed feelings that an elevator brings. So for me to ride one twice was a big thing, at least to me it was. After the visits and getting back down to the classroom area where the rest of the ensemble were we headed out. I was really happy to leave. Overall the whole thing went well but I knew there would be consequences later. It just felt good to be out of the hospital. I was really happy things went soooo well though. Master Chief made me feel like I was almost a Corpsman again. It is getting late tonight so I am going to get going but will get back on tomorrow and try and get caught up.