Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 2 umbilical

Yesterday was day 2 of umbilical training. Dad and Neil both went and spent the day with the girls. Sally and I went out at just bummed around looking at all of the different places that we can go. We went onto base so I could get a new belt for my uniforms, and renewed our fishing licence. Afterwards we went out to Best Buy and just walked around the store. This was a real culture shock for me. Seeing all the "New" technology that is out there now was really overwhelming. Things have come a long way since 1994. Next we went to Lowe's and checked out some different things. We actually picked up a new purification spout for the sink. Better water from the tap, cool idea. This one doesn't pop off like my old one did. The we went down to Morehead City and went to Walmart. I thought about trying the one here but there were way too many people, for now. We picked up a few items, nothing major. It was more for me to get used to being around people and getting more of a feeling for working with Sally. Afterwards Sally and I stopped at the Rescue Squad I once served on. We spoke to the Chief and found out that there is a way to put a note on the response system here that if something were to happen to me responding units will receive notifications that Sally is here and can get a point of contact to come get her if needed. I just need to figure out who to put into the system for it. I have a couple of ideas and will be talking to them SOON. Better to be on the safe side especially when it comes to Sally!! Overall it was a laid back kind of day that ended with the 2 of us chilling at the house together in the evening.
I would like to say thanks to Candace. She tried to explain the trials of the umbilical training and she did an outstanding job. So far everything she said is verrrrry true. It does take a while getting used to having a dog attached to you at all times. But due to what she told me I am doing okay with it. THANK YOU Candace!! There is one thing I have learned about Sally though. She doesn't care for vacuums. I used it once and now anytime I reach for it she tugs on the leash a bit. We can work around that though. When Neil and Dad got back from their day with the girls they handed me a gift from the girls. It is a poem that was painted. The following is the poem.

Dad
Words alone cannot express,
what you mean to me
In times of pain in times of stress
there you'll always be.
Sometimes you'd even let me win,
oh the smile on my face!
You taught it wasn't everything
but how you won the race.
For all the times you've cared.
For being the best Dad, ever, thank you;
For all the love you shared.

I wish I could remember them!